In November 2008 South Lanarkshire Council [SLC] officially announced that the Hall will close. The Community Council [LCC] has written to SLC indicating it is angry that petitions and previous pleas have been ignored and asked for a further meeting to put forward their point of view.
About the Jubilee Hall
The Jubilee will be around 180 years old this year!
It was build around 1828/1830 for the Burgher and Reformed Presbyterian Church of Lesmahagow, which was disolved in 1869 and the church sold to the renowned J B Greenshields of the Kerse, the author of The Annals of Lesmahagow, published in 1864.
The Hall had many names in this period, eventually finishing up as the Jubilee Hall to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. In 1877 J B Greenshields gifted the Hall to the village, and it was run by a trust until 1951 when it was handed over to the then Second District Council. [Thanks to R Mcleish for